Monday, February 6, 2017

My First Jib Sheet Bag

My First Jib Sheet Bag.

Peggy complains about the Sheet lines loafing about in the Cockpit, always concerned that she will trip over them. Just for those that are not too familiar with the use and size of the Jib Sheets: The Jib sail is that big triangular sail on the front of the boat. When we are sailing, the two lines from the Clew of the sail (the aft most corner of the foot of the sail) is in tension held by one of the two Jib Sheets, each 45' long. One line (the active sheet) is wrapped around the Winch on the leeward side of the boat (opposite from the windward side of the boat) while the Lazy Sheet is loose on the Windward side of the boat. 
Now, both lines should be neatly stowed at all times but accessible for any adjustments such as tightening the sail or easing the sail. The Lazy sheet has to reach all the way around the front of the mast to the clew of the Jib. So the part of it that is in the cockpit is much shorter than the Active sheet which only has to reach from the winch to the clew on the same side of the boat. Got it?

When sailing any distance, we're probably not tacking back and forth as much as we might when in a race. We're probably taking it easy and might stay on the same tack for at least a half hour, possibly more, possibly several hours. So when that is our game plan, then it makes sense to stow the lines yet still make it easy to grab them for altering when needed.

To stow them, I decided to make a Sheet Bag to hang on the Lifeline, and if it works out, I'll make a second.


My First Jib Sheet Bag

Here's some pics that shows how I made it.

Parts:

The Back plate is Sunbrella to match our existing boat canvas (Royal Blue Tweed). It has a flap at the top that folds back over the top lifeline and another near the bottom (12" below the top) which folds over the lower lifeline.

The Lower flap is made separately (it's the small blue piece in the pic) 

The Front plate (shown beneath the Sunbrella in the pic)  is made from Phifertex which is a mesh that will allow the Sheet line to drain if it's wet.

The Flaps have Velcro hook & loop to secure them to the lifelines.




Top of Front plate

Shown here, the top has been cut and folded to form the angle (45°) where the sides meet the Back plate and the front of the Bag.

The front piece is then cut away to leave a 3/4" hem, more for reinforcement than anything. I also left the folded sides (the piece under the thread reel and scissors) rather than cut them off, again, just to add strength.








Binding the top of the bag Front plate.

I used some 1.25" Binding tape to neaten up the front of the bag as well as make it look just like a pro finish.

It's not easy sewing the binding without a binding attachment, so I first pressed the binding folded in half with my tailors hot iron and that made it a whole lot easier. Turned out really nice.









Forming the bottom of the Front plate

Pretty straightforward, I marked out everything before starting to cut or sew any of it. Forming the bottom was just a case of folding the bottom and each side so that the marks lined up then run it through the machine. You can see the 3/4" seam markings along the side. So this is the Inside of the Bag, it will be turned inside out when the bag is done.



 Reinforcing the bottom of the Front plate

Again, by leaving most of the folds on the bottom and only cutting off a small amount in the middle, this should extend the life of the Sheet Bag.







The Back Plate

This shows the Back Plate complete. The Top Flap has matching Velcro strips that close over the top lifeline.

12" below that is the Lower Flap that folds over the lower lifeline. 

When I make the second bag, I'll make the lower flap about 1" narrower, when I joined the Front Plate and the Back Plate the first time, I accidentally sewed through the flap. If it is a 1/2" in from each side that wouldn't be a problem and it would simplify the process of sewing the Back Plate to the Front Plate.




 All done.

Doesn't look as good in this pic, but I'm really pleased with the way it turned out.

I'll add some pics of the Bag installed tomorrow.

Hopefully, Peggy will be happy that the lines, well, one of them right now, will be out of the way. It has a second advantage, this will move the line off the winch when we're not sailing, so I can make some Winch Covers next

Update Feb 7th. 2017

Installed on the boat this afternoon, looks SWEET!






See you on the Water.